Understanding of Education, Program Competencies and Program Objectives
Understanding of Education
Psychology tries to understand human behavior, thinking and feeling by using scientifically rigorous methods. Since it is both the art and science of understanding the human, a psychology education requires strong theoretical knowledge as well as practice and apprenticeship. Our department aims to equip its students with excellent theoretical background with skills that they acquire through active involvement in their undergraduate work. Psychology Department at Atılım University gives students flexibility and offers a variety of elective courses so that they can tailor their studies to fit their interests and career goals..
Through close contact with faculty members and other student development services, we can establish one to one relationship with each student so that they have a supportive environment for their personal and professional development.
During their first two years, students take basic core courses in different areas of psychology, such as developmental, learning, cognitive, social, industrial/organizational and clinical psychology. In the last two years of their undergraduate work, for those who wish to work in the field after graduation, we provide a wide range of courses so that they can concentrate in one of the following three tracks clinical/counseling, cognitive/experimental or developmental psychology. During their third and fourth years, students will have the opportunity to be involved in the practice of psychology through internship courses and volunteer community work. For those students who want to pursue further education in psychology and concentrate on research, we encourage involvement in ongoing research, and design and conduct their own research project in their final year.
We aim to have graduates who strive for the best, who are aware of the diversities and realities of the country and the world, live in close contact with the community, have broad and flexible understanding of the world, approach events critically, analytically and creatively and contribute to the scientific knowledge in global standards.
We are committed to the mission of excellence in teaching, research and apprenticeship by providing:
- innovative courses with high level of active involvement in research and application
- undergraduate research opportunities
- internship and volunteer community work opportunities
- To have a comprehensive understanding of basic psychological perspectives and to examine the mental, affective, and behavioral processes of human beings within a scientific discipline
- To have a knowledge about the historical and philosophical developments, basic concepts, applications and schools of science of psychology as well as the subfields of psychology such as clinical, experimental, social, developmental, industrial, health, traffic and educational psychology
- To gain skills in identifying, describing, formulating, and solving the problems related to basic mental, emotional, and behavioral problems of human beings
- To develop new ideas through analytical, critical, and creative point of view by using abstract concepts and to gain skills in evaluating different psychological phenomena
- To gain knowledge and skills in transforming his/her theoretical knowledge into practice in different fields of psychology
- To have skills in accessing knowledge and using resources
- To have knowledge about basic principles of psychological assessment along with various quantitative, qualitative, and experimental research methods, to have skills in designing and conducting research by using these methods, and analyzing, reporting, and presenting research data
- To have awareness of interpersonal sensitivity, societal processes and problems
- To have efficient written and oral communication skills in Turkish and English
- To gain skills in following the developments in the field of expertise and renewing himself/herself with an awareness of life-span learning
- To have professional and ethical responsibility, knowledge, and awareness
- To gain theoretical knowledge about the basic concepts and expertise in the field of psychology and have the ability to use this information
- To have the ability to design, apply, analyze, interpret and report correlative and experimental research designs
- To know the limits of competence and have the professional ethical awareness
- To gain awareness and responsibility for social processes
- To be able to conduct teamwork and individual work, to be able to follow current professional development and have effective communication and presentation skills